Monday, July 07, 2008

Cordelia Underwood, by Van Reid


Totally fun. And just a little bewildering.

This book reminded me a lot of Pickwick Papers: a club of bungling bachelors, who ought to be men of the world but instead are hopeless innocents, marauding the countryside. Only it's late 19th century Maine and there are bears and politicians and lady parachutists and Captain Kidd's lost treasure to enliven things. And a sometimes intertwining plot with a young heroine and her peculiar inheritance from her sailor uncle.

There were a lot of characters, and a lot of plot threads, not all of which were tied up neatly. (Really, hardly any of them. But there seem to be quite a few more books in the series, hurrah!) Although I found it confusing at times, mostly it was just part of the effusive fun of the book.

5 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger Framed said...

There aren't enough really fun books out there so I will have to check this one out.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Really, really, really, really, really reallyreally LOVED it! I posted my own review here:

http://readingtoknow.blogspot.com/2008/07/cordelia-underwood-by-van-reid.html

But THANKS, Sky, for selecting this book for our enjoyment. What a fun time.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Sky said...

I love this book simply for the dialogue, it's fun, quirky and a little tongue in cheek, AND CLEAN!
I am big on the one-liner quotes, if there is a quote for every occasion then it has been worth my time!

It would be a lovely on stage play.

I have not read any of the other books by Van Reid but look forward to making their acquaintance.

My favorite quote;
"Inspiration pending," repeated Ephram. "I like that very much."

(Dearest bookfest members, I APOLOGIZE for not having my review up and ready, I am swamped for time but that is no excuse, I shall have to make up for it soon. Is it TRULY July already???)

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Alaina said...

I agree this was a lot of fun to read. Clever, imaginative, definitely quirky. A fun adventure peopled by memorable (and sometimes hilarious) characters. Occasionally difficult to follow all the story lines as they wound rather circuitously toward a common junction. But definitely enjoyed the "various and sundry" characters who made cameo appearances alongside the winsome main characters!

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger B said...

This one just didn't do much for me, but I gave it a try. I posted on my own blog that it reminded me of a bizarre dream. Maybe I'll have to re-read it sometime later to see if I can make sense of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home