Thursday, December 08, 2005

CHECK THIS OUT!

Hey!

Check
  • out this site
  • for reviews on various "Christian" book series. It's been very thought provoking for me.

    I tend not to agree with the people doing the reviewing, except on their review of Elsie who I am now predisposed to hate. (I was glad of their review because it saved me the trouble of having to read the rest of the books to find out what happened to Elsie. She married the guy I thought she would.)

    But on the whole - I think they make both good points and bad points.

    Their worst point is - if a book isn't "Christian" or the characters are not "Christian" they seem loathed to recommend them. If we're to avoid anything "non-Christian" our reading world would be considerably smaller. My mind begins to whirl when I think of all the books and wonderful stories I would have missed out on had I been denied the right to read "secular fiction."

    3 Comments:

    At 5:51 AM, Blogger Sky said...

    Exactly. Can you imagine not having read LMM????? AGGGHHHH! I wince just thinking of it. My mom was very careful in her reading so I was able to read "adult" books that were clean and actually instilled moral values and strength of character!

    My first grown up book was Tall Stranger by Louis Lamour. I still love it and I still read it. And I want my boys to read it.
    I haven't even got started on my Books I've Read list. SO busy!

     
    At 1:19 PM, Blogger "Nick" said...

    You have to quote them C.S.Lewis's comment... we need fewer Christian book writers, and more good writers who are Christians:)

    Narnia and Lord of the Rings are not about Christians. But they were written by men who were, and are filled with Christian doctrine.

    On another note... I am starting The Iliad...:D

     
    At 8:34 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

    BTW - I started reading Flannery O'Conner............

    HATE her writing. HATE it. NOT going to finish the book. I vote we change Jan.'s book.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home