Thursday, October 12, 2006

I am begging you, pleading with you....

Please, please, PLEASE withacherryontop, DON”T see the new Flicka movie until you have read the original book “My Friend Flicka” by Mary O’Hara!

I was really excited when I first learned about it because it’s always been one of my favorite horse books and I like Tim McGraw but then I saw that they changed the main character from a boy named Ken to a girl named Katy!

It makes me angry that sexism has extended this far. Why does it have to be a girl? Why can’t a boy love horses as well? In fact, all of the horse stuff is girly now. I can’t find anything other then cowboy motif that is UN-pink and UN-ribbony!

I am a girl who loves horses, I want my sons to love horses too and it’s really hard to encourage that when toys, books and movies all seemingly point to horsemanship as a primarily feminine area.

Cowboys are amazing and most definitely masculine. (In case any of you are thinking of the Sodom and Gomorrah of “western” books, “Brokeback Mountain” it isn’t about cowboys anyway. The stupid piece of literature that it is…) But you can love horses without being a cowboy!

And even if you don’t love horses you should read the trilogy of Mary O’Hara.’s

My Friend Flicka
Thunderhead
Green Grass of Wyoming

At least the movie is remaining somewhat true to the West and isn’t morally sick and wrong.

But it is about cowboys and they didn't even leave the young men in this world THAT!

However, I am not asking you NOT to see the movie, I just would love to have you read the book first. I had it listed on our reading list but as the movie is coming out soon I wanted to tell you!

~ Sky
a very horsey person

2 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Ok I will bow to your whims. This once. ;)

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Hofwoman said...

The book is wonderful, I agree - now I am anxious to read the other two by her that you listed :)

from one horse-lover to the next ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home