Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Hank the Cowdog

I had a delightful time re-reading this book. It has been some years since I've followed the adventures of Hank the Cowdog. I received my copy of a first edition back in 1985 from the Great Grandmother who first discovered Hank and passed along the joys to me.

If you haven't read Hank yet, I hope that you'll give him a shot. He is, basically, a dog version of Barney Fife from the Andy Griffith Show. Hank is the narrator of the story and thinks he's pretty hot stuff. He is self entitled the Head of Ranch Security. No one else on the ranch seems to think as much of him and most find him to be a bit of an annoying goof. Hank never catches on. You can almost imagine Barney scurrying about trying to load his one bullet into his gun. If you like Don Knotts, I think you'll like Hank.

If you get a chance, John Erickson did all the voice work for the books on tape. I would HIGHLY recommend you listening to at least one book on tape to get a flavor for the voices/personalities that Erickson gives his characters. If you have a long car ride ahead of you, these tapes are excellent entertainment. My brother and I loved listening to them as I was growing up. Erickson does a fabulous job and adds songs which are hilarious -- kinda like Silly Songs With Larry (only better).

If nothing else, you'll at least get a whiff of my sense of humor by reading a Hank book (or two or twenty). Which could be scary. But hopefully enjoyable.

5 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger Rose said...

My library still hasn't come up with this one yet. Blast! I am intently curious.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Sky said...

I read one a very long time ago, but I seem to remember the book on tape, I think I thouroughly enjoyed it! I am going to buy a couple for the cross country drive across the United States.

Two active, LOUD boys in the car for at least 5 days....

this'll be interesting.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger As Long As I'm Here said...

While taking extended sales trips for my company, I found the audio tapes for Hank, the Cowdog, the perfect antidote against going to sleep behind the wheel. I don't care which story you choose, they are all just terrific, and wonderfully entertaining for any age.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I just popped over here from your (Carrie's) profile--hadn't seen it before.

Thanks for the heads up on the Cowdog tapes. We actually just tried our first one fairly recently, and neither Amanda nor I was completely captivated, but I think that the tapes would be great. We have a long drive at Christmas ahead.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Nica said...

I read a good article on the Hank series in World Magazine. Definitely a series I'm going to be buying, in both book and audio form, for my child(ren) in the future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home