Friday, November 10, 2006

A Morbid Taste for Bones

Edith Pargeter, writing under the nom-de-crime of Ellis Peters, has once again crafted a suspenseful mystery full of humor and insight into human nature. Her stories of Brother Cadfael and his fellow brothers of the cowl give one a rare view into the workings of the medieval mind and a curious and often turbulent time in the history of England. She writes with a zest for the curious, laughable, and often all-too-human quirks that even the holiest of monks can display, and an interesting view of the miracles and prayers to saints that were a central part of medieval worship.
I appreciate that she writes with both a respect and reverence for the historical church, while still offering glimpses of the common foibles of human men of God. She creates characters who often highlight the dangers of ecclesiastical pride, and targets the pitfalls of those who used the blind beliefs of the uneducated as a key to amassing their own personal influence and power.
Her treatment of the Welsh passions and culture, so foreign to Cadfael's fellow monks, showed a clear understanding of the wisdom of Welsh culture, and the reason the Welsh church avoided many of the faults of its English counterpart.
I loved the name Sioned, and wish I knew how to pronounce it. I do know that the Welsh 'd' is pronounced as a 'th' sound.
The plot of Cadfael to use Sioned and her Welsh beauty to spellbind a gullible priest was a fitting end to a great mystery. All in all, an enjoyable book.

7 Comments:

At 6:41 AM, Blogger B said...

The name is pronouned like "shawn-ed" (with an emphasis on the first syllable). In Welsh, the "th" sound is reserved for a word with dd (as in the region "Gwynedd").

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Ani said...

Thanks~ I forgot about that double -f rule.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Rose said...

I'm a little late chiming in but here's my take: Ditto to the review and comments. A nice book and an enjoyable read. I like the Welsh names and customs.

Two things tarnished the reading experience for me. The first was the impression that this was not quite top-notch mystery writing. Perhaps I've been too spoiled by Agatha Christie's intricate and elaborate plots, but I didn't feel there were enough red herrings or diversions in the unraveling of the mystery. You pretty much had the villain pegged to within two or three suspects by halfway through the book, and you were never tempted to think it was actually the good guy. So the solving of the mystery didn't come as a great surprise to me.

Second, I felt annoyed by the repeated sexual insinuations scattered throughout the book. I can handle some bawdy references, but the author seemed to go out of his way to point out facts about Brother Cadfael's past, for instance, or the way he spotted a female leg coming out of the tree. I can't put my finger on it, but it just seemed there were too many of these kinds of unnecessary references, which is too bad as it made the book seem that much more of a sensational/trashy paperback novel, which it really wasn't.

But small quibbles. A lot of people recommend these books so highly that I may try again on one of the others.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Sky said...

I just wanted to add my very late two cents worth;
I actually liked the fact that Brother Cadfael appreciates a beautiful leg, it makes him more human. I think that alot of people think of monks as perfect and unblemished or creepy and gross, most of the time they are human beings with normal human feelings and failings. Hopefully they are Christians who stride to overcome faults through faith by grace.

I am curious to see what everyone thinks of Absolution By Murder.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger B said...

Thanks, Sky. You took the words right out of my mouth. What Peters does is remind readers that it's possible for a monk to be faithful and still human at the same time. After all, Cadfael spent most of his life as a soldier and crusader.

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finally finished it!

I had a hard time workign through it. I just didn't really get into it. I DIDN'T guess who had committed the murder, as Rose did. I knew it had to be one of the monks but I wasn't sure which or how that would play out.

The characters just didn't seem that interesting to me on the whole. It was just kind of an "*eh*" book to me.

I DID find it highly amusing how Cadfael dealt with the body of the murderer in the end though. I saw it coming and I thought that was really funny! (It tickled my funny bone.) I could just see it...

Anyway! Although I appreciated the "change of pace" per se in a mystery setting, Cadfael wasn't a huge favorite of mine and I likely won't continue on with the series.

(Oh and btw, I agree with Sky & Bonnie on Cadfael's character and on how he relates and reactions to the female race.)

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Rose said...

Just to clarify: I don't have a problem with a monk who has very human feelings or failings, and I don't mind the occasional sexual reference if I feel the context is appropriate. (Alexandre Dumas' works are FULL of innuendo and scandal, and he handles that quite discreetly!) It's just that the way much of it came across in this story struck me as gratuitous. As I said, it was hard to put my finger on, but I felt just slightly annoyed by what felt like needless salaciousness, which I'm sure was not the author's intent. If I'm the only one who reacted this way, then it's probably just a personality issue. =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home