Tuesday, January 24, 2006

FEBRUARY READS

Hey all,

You'll notice the sidebar has been changed to reflect the next month's read (so you can reserve them at your library or do whatever it is you want to do....

1. What a Girl Wants, by Kristin Billerbeck
2. East of Eden, by John Steinbeck**
3. The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien
4. Deadline, by Randy Alcorn

Aaaand because I like looking ahead in one month increments (I DO have to put books on hold at the library sometimes in order to accomplish my reading goals.) I would propose the following for March:

1. Mythology, by Edith Hamilton (per Erika's earlier suggestion)
2. End of the Spear, by Stephen Saint (because I HAVE to read this now!)
3. Back of the North Wind, by George MacDonald (because its short and I've been wanting to); and
4. Something at Sky's Suggestion ;)

Happy Reading!

** BTW, when I was trying to find a picture on Amazon of East of Eden I noticed it was on Oprah's book club. I will ignore this fact and read it anyway...though normally that is indication to me that the book will be depressing and dull. Will, you'll pay if I end up depressed after a week of it! ;D

11 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Blogger Sky said...

EEWWWWW! Oprah? Not that I have anything against the woman herself but she seems to usually have bad taste in books. (Do you think she reads them all? Does she even know who John Steinbeck is? ) You're right, we'll just ignore that fact now.
I'm excited about the Stephen Saint book (never read it) and Back of the North Wind (love it)and I am curious to hear everyone's comments on East of Eden, other then that I haven't read the others so I am keen on getting to know them!
I get to choose a book for March? Oh goody!
I have to choose one though right? Not like ten or twenty right? Hmmm. Sheesh, what a dilemna....
I would suggest 'The Beekeepers Apprentice' by Laurie R King. It's the first book in a series I love.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

I vote yea to your suggestion then!

4. The Bookkeepers Apprentice,by Laurie R. King!

Woo hoo! =D

Everyone else agreed? Speak now or forever and ever hold your peace

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Sky said...

Ever since I posted my last comment I keep thinking of more books to suggest! But I think that if you enjoy Dorothy Sayers you will enjoy Laurie R King.(Picking only one book is driving me crazy!)

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger "Nick" said...

No guarantee's on East of Eden not depressing you. It is NOT a depressing story... yet it also is somewhat. You have to read it to see what I mean.

And I found out about it because of Oprah. One of the women I had a desk near used to watch that every afternoon (yes, life at a Big Three Network is tough... tv's within site of every desk:) and they had a fascinating show on the book and on Steinbeck... so... I picked it up.

As for suggestions... if I am allowed... Escape From Reason by Francis Schaeffer is EXCELLENT. And short:)

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Hey Will,

Ok. Well, then I will make sure to sandwhich it in between something funny and light. I like your suggestion very much so I'm willing to deck At the Back of the North Wind for a month and substitute it with your suggestions.

Ok with everyone else?

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger return home gnome said...

I'm unclear, are we doing King or Schaefer or what? I suggest we add King as #4 for this month, and put Schaeffer in later. No need to go changing the lists already posted: they will all still be there in the end of March.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Sky said...

Whatever. I'm cool.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

fine by me. I was willing to bump one of mine for Will's but let's just add King to March and then do Shaffer later. After all - we're reading this OPRA book this month. ;)

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger "Nick" said...

Stop all this disrespectin' of my book choice yo!

Just kidding.

Given I have read Schaeffer, that is fine by me.

Back to the Illiad. After a promising start I got mired in wedding details:)

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Rose said...

Okay, how do we do the reviews? Does whoever finishes a book from February first get to post about it, and everyone else just comments? That doesn't seem fair to the people who haven't finished it yet, especially as we may be reading the books in different order (I'm halfway through March's book already). But I'm done with one of the books now and bursting with commentary.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Rose,

Just popped you an e-mail but YES! BLOG!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home