Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Other reviews from December and January

While in the past I've always said it isn't possible, I'm beginning to think I read too much.

Blue Like Jazz by Don Miller
Very pleasantly surprised. Not highly intellectual, engaging, never dragging, and while I violently disagreed with some of his assertions, I found myself fervently agreeing much more often. I made it about half way through the book, completely absorbed, before I absolutely had to grab a pencil and start scribbling all over the pages; the text calls for thought and interaction.
I feel every Christian should read this book, while scribbling all over it themselves, if not to shed light on their own thoughts, to shed light on those of their brothers.

Public Image by Muriel Sparks
Cold, plain, precise writing style and subject matter (at least in this book); some turns of phrase completely obscure. A talented writer, but otherwise, unenjoyable. Generally forgettable. I probably just didn't get it. I intend to read one more of hers, then move on if it is the same.

Calvin's Commentary on Genesis
I always enjoy Calvin, if only just for the obvious passion for God that blazes through his warm writing. (Always unexpected, for some reason). I was working on his commentary on Romans, according to the texts we're using in our Bible study, but that was rather over my head I'm afraid. His introduction to Genesis was wonderful; very.... Complete. I look forward to moving farther and farther on in this one (I'm only up to Gen. ch 5).

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus
Surprisingly Christian! His main premise that he returns to again and again is, not in so many words, we all just need to give each other a lot of grace and be more sacrificial too. I highly recommend it for women who are overly romantic, or have lots of sisters but no brothers. It'll help clear up a lot of problems before they start.

The Cost of Discipleship by Deitrich Bonhoffer
Wow. A bit too deep for me. I feel as though I ought to be reading it several times before it'll sink in. Very enjoyable though, a well balanced display of the unity of faith and works.

1 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Oh THANKS! Great! Someone else told me about "Blue Like Jazz" but it wasn't a person that I would normally trust their reading style. Now I'm ready to go pick it up! =)

Thanks for the reviews....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home