Sunday, February 19, 2006

February Books

East of Eden (for real this time):
I enjoyed this book so much I wish I could go back and read it over again twice. There are so many epiphany type quotes in this book, so much emotion, such turns in the path that I do not feel equal to the task of writing a review.
But I enjoyed it; oh! did I enjoy it!
post script: Carrie, I still understand your deceision to abstain from this book, and support it knowing how you can be affected. ;)
But I still think it is a good book.

Other Books I've read recently:
Finding your Million Dollar Mate; possibly a good book to give to someone who dates around a lot and whines about it, but worthless otherwise. Made me think of an infomercial for "Christian" dating targeting pagans; not sure if it was selling dating, or Christianity, or both.... or neither.

Telling Secrets, Frederick Buechner; quite, quite interesting and very quick to read. I'm going to read all his other stuff now too.

The DaVinci Code; fun fiction in that it's a "page turner" (albeit uses cheap tricks to keep you turning, but I didn't mind). Interesting use of historical documents/art to weave an plot. Not terribly compelling, but fun "National Treasure" type mental-film. I will not be reading his other stuff.

The Little Prince; Slightly bizarre, but totally superb! A must read children's book for adults and kids alike!

The Light Princess, George MacDonald; I remembered this book from second grade from the illustrations by William Du'Pinou (*cough* I just brutalized the poor man's name... please ignore). A very interesting tale, fun-ly written with serious themes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home