Monday, December 11, 2006

The Hunchback of Notre Dame, by Victor Hugo

When I suggested this book I received a violent outburst from Lisa suggesting that we NOT read this book. But as I had never read Les Mis or this one, and this book was cheaper by comparison, I picked this one. (Thus you are made aware of my reasoning.)

As to style of writing, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Hugo had humor. Or, at least the type I appreciate. He has little quips and phrases that struck my funny bone. It was almost Frasier-esqe at times being subtle and refined. He threw a reference or two to the Iliad which I found hilarious. It was an unexpected surprise.

As to the story, I also enjoyed it (until the end, but I'll discuss that momentarily). I enjoyed the characters and instantly cared about what would happen to them. The hardest thing to get through was the description of the way people treated Quasimodo, our deformed hero. I suspected that that was the reason Lisa would have hated this book. It's hard to read about how cruel one person can be to another with little to no cause. Hugo was quite descriptive in his writing which made Quasimodo's situation painfully clear. He was hated because he was feared for being as ugly and deformed as he was.

Despite the title of the book, it isn't actually very much about Quasimodo, but more about Esmerelda, the gypsy girl. Her 16 year old beauty seems to be the center subject of the book by which all the other (male) characters revolve around in various forms and fashions. She acted 16 in several respects, reminding me once again why I am incredibly thankful to have a son and not a daughter. (With all due respect to mothers of daughters.) There just seems to be more to keep track of with girls, as this story can attest to. For the record, I did NOT appreciate how descriptive Hugo was with the interactions between Esmeralda and his other characters (i.e., the Priest and Phoebus). But if you skim over the sum total of about 3 paragraphs you can get around the vivid picture and get the gist of what's happening.

I will not spoil the end by telling anyone who hasn't read it what happens. Let's just say I came to realize why Lisa would hate the book so much. I'm not sure I share the dislike with the same fiery passion as Lisa displayed for us. However, I can't say I'm overly fond of the way Hugo chose to wrap things up. It's a Beauty-and-the-Beast-gone-bad sort of tale. I'm incredibly curious to see what Disney did with this story. I can bet their take was something more....lighthearted in nature. And although they may have Disneyfied it to make it more palitable for younger audiences, I'm quite certain that they missed Hugo's wit which I'm very thankful to have been exposed to. On to Les Mis (when the price becomes right)!

5 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Blogger LT said...

C -
You were very gracious. I agree that Hugo did an excellent job of the story. It was well written, vivid and captivating. All the things a good book should be made of. In fact, those very things that Hugo was so good at, made me dislike the book so much.

In the vivid way he chose to display the cruelty and depravity of the human heart in many, many ways, that I disliked. In each of the characters, the depravity of human nature -- the unregenerated man was evident. This utter depravity in the absence of a regenerated nature was manifested in each of his characters.

I honestly think that was what Hugo was trying to do. To show that without something more, we are hopeless and that without something more the world is desolate and bleak. Hugo achieved this goal! That is why I dislike the book so much. It is too much of an exposure to depraved human nature. I see too much of the depravity of man to choose to (once again -- since I already did it once) spend my leisure time visiting it in all the vividness of Hugo’s writing.

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

I can COMPLETELY understand where you were/are coming from on this score. That is also precisely the reason why I hate reading so many other "depressing" tales. I've seen and heard enough through former jobs to desire spending my liesure time reading down-and-out tales. I'm SO WITH YOU THERE. I think the only reason I can say I (mostly) liked this book is because I didnt' see the ending coming. I truly didn't. The last three chapters were....unexpected. So I didn't have a chance to truly dislike it until it was, in a sense, too late! During most of the book I just enjoyed Hugo's style and wit.

Thanks for your comments!

 
At 6:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, I just finished Hunchback the other day. These are a few of my thoughts:

1. The book went from semi-interesting to boring, to interesting, to exciting, to boring, to interesting to the end.

2. Hugo does have a GREAT sense of humor, especially shown in the Philosopher.

3. The villain was especially dark. Well done. I hated him.

4. Esmeralda annoyed me at times with how immature/blind her love was.

5. The tale reminded me a little of The Phantom of the Opera meets Beauty and the Beast.

6. I was a little annoyed by the end and yet knew it was the ONLY way it could end. There was no other way.

7. Oh yeah, and Hugo was trying to be helpful and describe France in the 15th century... but ended up boring me almost to tears. I heard there's a similar passage in Les Mis, only the topic is the "sewers of London".

I'm glad I read it, I can see why it's a great classic, but I'm glad to be done with it. The book club I belong to has chosen Les Mis for discussion in January. I'm glad to get a break before diving into another giant Hugo novel.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Rose said...

Hear, hear. It's a great book and has a lot of truth to it but it's still painful to read! I remember feeling VERY ripped off by the ending the first time I read it. And I couldn't identify with E.'s obsession with Pho. Silly girl! I kept thinking. Especially because I was under sixteen the first time I read it and I wasn't that impressed with him. Great themes of love and sacrifice, but hard to slog through. And the writing got a bit melodramatic at times.

I've never seen the Disney version either but I'm sure they tinkered with it until it was unrecognisable. Also, I seem to recall at the time it came out that there was a lot of controversy because they had cast the villains as the 'religious' characters, as if all priests are wicked, and tried to work in morals about accepting people despite their differences (equating homosexuals with cripples??). I don't know the extent of all this, but it wouldn't surprise me, and I have no interest in seeing the Disney version.

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Sky said...

DON'T see the Disney version. It reeks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home