Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The Constant Gardener, by John le Carre


Given my history in choosing books for the book club, I'm well aware that I might receive a blogful of stink eyes for this one. But I have to admit that I really liked this book. No, I'll admit that I loved it. Obviously, it's not a perfect book. From the standpoint of traditional literary criticism, it leaves a number of things to be desired. The plot is a little messy and assumes too much of the reader. The shifting point of view, while clever and useful for putting readers right into the action, is also a bit disconcerting and makes the story difficult to follow in places. But ultimately, this is a lovely book because it is--however sad--a lovely story.

I have the benefit of having seen (and thoroughly enjoyed) the film that was released in 2005. So, I approached the book with a certain familiarity. I was pleasantly surprised to find, though, that the book is quite a bit different from the movie. At first, I had trouble reconciling the character of Tessa. She comes across as stronger and slightly more abrasive in the book. I loved the character in the film, but I had to warm up to Tessa in the book. Justin, however, was perfect from start to finish. I love that the first part of the story put us more in the minds of Sandy and Gloria and the other characters, leaving us to see Justin through their eyes and to formulate an impression based on that. When we finally get to see Justin up close, it is really fascinating. We realize how little the others knew him and Tessa. We learn that his quiet manner conceals a passionate love for his wife and the son they lost. I love the scene at the end of the book when Sandy comments that Justin has finally "grown up." They all thought he had reached his limit. It just goes to show how careful we must be about categorizing people.

Speaking of categories, I know that Tessa is going to be a tough character. She's so determined and reckless (walhalsig?) that it can almost be obnoxious. There were times that I wanted to say, "Just stop! Why are you pushing it?" But people like Tessa make a difference. As Justin points out, she has the kind of integrity that won't let her cross the street without asking if it is ethical. She demands complete ethical purity (and yes, I know I'm treading on thin ice by not classifying "ethics," but I'll go with the book's assumption about this term), and her discovery about the pharmaceutical cover-ups was exactly the kind of unethical activity that would infuriate her. It is assumed that she is a scandalous flirt and that she and Arnold were together. I love that she didn't let other people's opinions bother her, although I'm not sure it was such a great idea to let people think that her husband was a fool. At the same time, I think Tessa was willing to risk her own reputation to protect Arnold, and this is worth considering. Justin knew the truth. That's all that mattered to Tessa.

Despite all of the confusing references to drugs and pharmaceutical companies and East African politics (by the way, the quoted articles about drug tests in Britain were real), I think it's important to remember that at its base, this is a love story. It's truly beautiful to see the love between Tessa and Justin unfold in the story. She is so present at all times, even though she is dead. Justin relies on her, turns to her, and takes up her cause. Whether or not you agree with what Tessa is doing, it's hard not to admire Justin for his commitment to his wife. He blames himself for not sharing in her burdens, and he makes the ultimate sacrifice in order to do so. If you have a chance to see the film, I recommend it, because it has a beautiful scene at the end in which they are both at Lake Turkana. She is with him, as she always has been, when he dies.

Again, I know that this is a controversial book, largely for its occasional lewd description and frequent use of bad language. Honestly, this didn't bother me, but I know some people won't like it. On behalf of the book club, though, I'm going to recommend this one and say it's definitely worth the time.

7 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

I'll be reading it once it makes its way back to the library. Apparently there's only one copy in the system and it is currently checked out. But I will definitely get to it and will post again after I've read it! Thanks!

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Rose said...

Thank you for posting this (without giving too much away!) I just got this and was feeling disillusioned after the first few pages, not really liking the character of Tessa or the apparent corruption running rampant throughout the operation. So I will definitely forge ahead.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

Well, I tried. I really did. But honestly, if Tessa hadn't been bumped off by the evil pharmaceuticals (or whoever did it) I'd want to do it myself. She's a tireless crusader for human rights, a brilliant attorney uncovering corruption, beloved by her servants and the natives, invariably irresistably sexy, and all while going through a pregnancy, difficult birth under primitive conditions, and the death of her child. Hello? Does she never have morning sickness, swollen ankles, bad hair days?

Maybe at another time I'd be able to read this book objectively. But not this month. Right now I just want to throw it across the room every time I pick it up. (halo)

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Alaina said...

I think this book was well-done, and though it was a slow start for me, after several chapters I got into it and enjoyed not only the plot build-up, but also the unfolding of Justin and Tessa Quayle's characters and relationship. The shifting POV was a hang-up for me, also, but I appreciated knowing the perceptions each character had of the others. The characters and their thoughts and motivations were reaistically portrayed. Also realistically, I felt, some of the "good guys" were admirable and some were not, but each had a sufficient level of complexity appropriate to their "screen time." I can see why they made of movie of the book; plenty of action and suspense placed in that dramatic African setting. But (not having seen the film yet) I wonder if they captured Justin's character development that is so carried by his soul-searching and inward reactions to the people and events around him?

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger B said...

Justin's an amazing character in the movie. He's so quiet throughout, but if you watch Ralph Fiennes's facial reactions, you can see his personal growth.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Hofwoman said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Hofwoman said...

I started this book, going into it with skeptical eyes, I suppose - I really did not enjoy the movie, so maybe that tainted this experience.
At any rate, I am 40 pages in and still cannot get into it, so I am giving up. I can't put my finger upon it - it just is not my kind of book.
(I kind of agree with Queen of Carrots on this one) ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home