Friday, January 05, 2007

To Say Nothing of the Dog, by Connie Willis

What's not to love about a book that manages to combine time travel, Victorian house parties, British mystery authors, boating, and metaphysical ponderings on the intersection of free will, chance, and design? This book was pure fun to read, yet with enough Big Ideas to keep it from being fluffy.

The description of time lag, a disorder caused by too much time travel too close together, sounds remarkably similar to postpartum sleep deprivation (including the sentimentality--never watch Little Women at such a time), so I identified quite strongly and persevered even though the narrator was so confused at the beginning of the book that it was hard to tell what was going on. It does all clear up eventually, and most satisfactorily.

I appreciated the way the Victorian era and morals were treated, with respect but not slavish devotion (for those not timelagged, anyway), and the way religion was handled in a novel primarily set in a post-religious time.

Now I'm eager to try more books by this author, as well as the original Three Men in a Boat, To Say Nothing of the Dog. Many thanks to Erika for the recommendation; this is not a book which I would have stumbled across on my own.

6 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Blogger return home gnome said...

I'm so glad you like it! I enjoy her other stuff too, but so far this is my favorite by her.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

So here is a stupid tale...

I checked this book out from the library. Eventually something in the library stack was due and instead of just taking that one thing back, all the books went back -- including this one. By the time I realized this, someone else had checked the book out and its not due until February. So I'm going to read this. Really, I am! I just have to wait again. =P

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Rose said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It came in about a week ago and I read the first chapter or so, got distracted, and set it aside. On Monday night I picked it back up again and stayed up past midnight reading. I haven't done that in a while!

What really kept me reading was, of course, the tightly-spun mystery and hence my determination to find out exactly what was going on. Meanwhile, it was extremely readable, full of delightful characters, witty dialogue, and clever literary and historical references aplenty. I loved the time-space continuum and how the paradoxes were handled.

Definitely one I'd never have stumbled across on my own! Now I want to read more by this author, not to mention the original by Jerome K.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Alaina said...

Hear hear! to the other comments. I agree, this book was a lot of fun to read and now I want to read other books by Willis. I appreciated the humor, the eclectic bunch of characters, and the way I really cared about the protagonists and how they were going to solve the riddle. The time-travel motif was a lot of fun, but I liked that it didn't drive the story and become so "science-fictiony"; the time travel was secondary to the relationships and interaction between all the characters. But it was realistic to the world Willis creeated, and I liked how the characters were very matter-of-fact about time travel and what it involved. Finally, I really liked Ned as narrator; he was consistent, sympathetic and believable, and through his observation and thought processes I really got to know him as a character. Fun story! Thanks for the suggestion!

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Ani said...

I found this book hard to put down! I read on lunch breaks, over dinner, etc. I too loved the quirky characters, and the way the author wove in Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers mysteries. As a huge fan of Dorothy Sayers, I thought it was very well done. An interesting exploration of the possibilities and conundrums of time travel, but the offbeat characters and the unconventional romance were what gripped my attention. I look forward to reading other books by Connie Willis.

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Ah HA! I managed to snag the book BACK at the library and I just finished reading it last night. I really enjoyed it! It took me awhile to get through it -- picking it up here and there -- but it was well worth the time. Willis is captivating.

I esp. like the idea that every act and event is interwoven. The book makes you wonder which aspects of your life, if changed, would change the course of history. Pretty interesting concept.

Thanks, Elr, for the recommendation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home