Sunday, February 04, 2007

Peter Pan in Scarlett, by Geraldine McCaughrean


I just finished reading Peter Pan in Scarlet, the authorized sequel to J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan. I recently read Peter Pan for the first time and wasn't overly impressed with the story. It's much darker than the Disney tale of it, which they often seem to be. Therefore I have no real objections to the story --- I just didn't care for the original version. I feel no qualms about saying that I do not like the sequel.

First, I would like to say that I think McCaughrean did an EXCELLENT job of following Barrie's style of writing. It read and felt the same to me. That is no small feat to accomplish and hats off to McCaughrean for trying and, in my opinion, succeeding! She used the same short, choppy sentences. She played with words and phrases in the same manner. It was quite obvious that she made herself very familiar with Barrie's original work.

There are several themes which run throughout this book which I found annoying at best and distressing at worst. I probably didn't like it on the whole because I really don't care for the character of Peter to begin with. McCaughrean kept him just as self-centered and bratty as Barrie made him out to be in the first place. The worst offense one can give in this life, according to Peter, is to grow up, etc., etc..

This book tells the story of how the lost boys grew up and return with Wendy once again to Neverland where children were previously known never to have grown up. (Turns out you CAN grow up under certain circumstances.) I don't want to spoil the end for those of you who have not read it so I'm not going to focus too much on the plot. I'd rather discuss some of the side themes that I found disturbing.

For starters, Tootles becomes a girl in order to return to Neverland. Clothes, in this book, make the man (or, as the case may be, the little boy or girl). Since adults cannot return to Neverland, the Lost Boys had to borrow clothes from their children in order to be re-accepted into this fairy world. Tootles, having only daughters, wore girl clothes and reentered Neverland in female form. Peter apparently doesn't even notice that Tootles is now a girl. This just struck me as an "acceptance" argument for the changing of sexes. A tiny "reasonable" explanation is offered and it is supposed to be cute, understandable and funny as to why Tootles would go from being a man with an austere mustache, to "Princess Tootles" who desires to be a nurse and marry Peter. It's just a disturbing image to add to the story. It seems society would like to creep in wherever possible and gently, subtly, in the form of little children's stories, convince children that it is ok to dress as a member of the opposite sex. It simply is not. God created us to be either male or female. He makes the distinctions. We are made in His glory, in His image and for His honor. I cannot take it lightly when sexes attempt a blend or a change and call it "normal." It is anything BUT normal.

The other thing that bothered me was a minor argument in which McCaughren mentions that some circus animals were caged. She briefly touches on the "animals are people too" argument. I should clearly state that I am definitely in support of the ethical treatment of animals. And it does tug the heartstrings to see animals behind bars at times. But that does not mean that that is necessarily an evil and should never be portrayed as such all across the board. Bars save human lives, plain and simple. Anyway! Minor issue with the book.

The last bone I had to pick with the book was McCaughrean's explanation for the villain's existence. It was a bit graphic. But again, I thought she was very much in keeping with Barrie's original tale so I can't necessarily say her means of disclosure was necessarily uncalled for. To be any less explicit would be less Barrie. And, quite frankly, he was rather vivid. But if you didn't like the way he wrote the story, be prepared not to like McCaughrean. It's rather a Catch-22 of sorts.

On the whole I'd have to say I really did NOT like this story. Despised it, really. I didn't like the modern themes -- and that definitely factors in -- but I also did not like it because it was very much Barrie. And for that reason, I have to say "WELL DONE!"

McCaughrean did good.

In a way.

11 Comments:

At 4:52 AM, Blogger Rose said...

Thank you Carrie! This is exactly how I felt about it too. (I didn't get a chance to finish the book, and now I don't think I'll bother.)

I hadn't read Peter Pan for years, so I think I had forgotten how bratty Peter was in the original. So it's really not a reflection on this book or author, but just me for not really liking the original Peter Pan well enough to appreciate this. I do remember being annoyed at the original's portrayal of the parents, and it seems this one carries on a few subtle social themes of its own.

Probably one of those things where you either 'get it' or you don't...I'm just not into Peter Pan, I suppose.

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

I just read Peter Pan for the first time (that I recall) and am midway through the sequel. I've been trying to put my finger on what it is I don't like. It's not necessarily the bloodthirstiness--children DO play at pirates and scalpings and they love to hear about the wolf getting eaten and Goliath getting his head chopped off. But something was off about the whole story. It's a story by an adult trying to comprehend children's play, not a story by someone who remember what it really felt like to be a child.

Look at Peter Pan himself--he's arrogant, selfish, rude, disloyal (through sheer absent-mindedness, mostly, but it amounts to the same). Now, children often are all of these things, but these are NOT traits they admire. Real children wouldn't put up with Peter Pan for ten minutes. I don't like moralizing tales for children, but stories that fail to acknowledge the essential moral preferences of children just aren't much fun to read.

Or the whole central theme--avoiding growing up. How many children are adamant against growing up? Growing up is what most of their games are about. It is only once we have started to grow up that we realize what we have lost.

There still are plenty of the trappings of childhood--imaginary battles and adventures (and I suppose it is these that has granted its continued success). But the heart is gone.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Sky said...

That's what I missed too; that realness of childhood memories.
I would much rather read Funke, Lewis or Berkely. I THOUGHT exactly like that as a child.
The original PP is kind of weird too.
Oh, and by the way I have never understood the portrayal of Peter Pan by a woman in a play i.e.Mary Martin. Was he or was he not a BOY that didn't grow up?

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Re: Mary Martin & Cathy Rigby -- Rigby was an Olympic gymnist. Also, women tend to be smaller than men and more believeable in the role of a small boy. It's the physical reality coupled with the gymnastic feats required for the role. Rigby does a FABULOUS job!!!!

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Alaina said...

I liked Peter Pan in Scarlet, and I didn't like it. The first chapter or two seemed promising, imaginative, and amusing; and I enjoyed the book enough to finish it, although it wasn't a late-night page-turner. I haven't read the original, but the distinctive writing of the sequel led me to guess McCaughrean was closely echoing the style of Barrie. My impressions of and objections to this book are similar to all of yours. I greatly disliked Peter Pan's character, for his boasting and self-centeredness. I, too, couldn't understand the other children's unquestioning admiration of him, but it seemed partly to be tied up in nostalgia for their previous Neverland adventure. Other themes and nuances in the book do seem quite modern and a bit out of place - I agree that the whole Tootles as a girl screams "let's be progressive and politically correct here!" (Although the author chose to retain Barrie's "redskins.")

Overall, this book was readable. I found it to be imaginative in places (I liked the "Maze of Witches"). Ironically, the parts I like best in the story involve the Lost Boys like Slightly and Curly who actually "grow up" and behave honorably. I have to admit I found something appealing (yet simultaneously revolting) about the villain - perhaps the mystery and melancholy. I liked him as a character up until he reveals his true self - but he's really not much more selfish than Pan! Just more devious. Even then the back story is amusing - improbable but creative.

So, more dislikes than likes about this story, but I don't think it was a waste of time. I just won't recommend it to my younger brothers like I had been considering!

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

McCaughrean is a very good writer; I was wondering what I recognized her name from and realized it was a book of Greek myths I checked out recently that I really enjoyed (the most child-suitable version I've ever read, without twisting the basic plots unduly). I really thought the sequel was better written than the original. But since I still dislike the premise, that didn't help that much.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Headmistress, zookeeper said...

I guess I'll be the lone dissenter. I love Peter Pan and always thought it great fun. I've not read the McCaughrean sequel and probably won't, based on your review. The cross dressing thing would turn me off.

I think two things are going on in Peter Pan that made it likable to me- one is that yes, Peter Pan is all those things people say, selfish, arrogant, conceited- and he also has a great deal of charimsa. Children (and adults) do let a great many character flaws go if only the person in possession of them also has as much charisma as Peter did. But anyway, what I got from the book as a child was that these flaws were what kept Peter from growing up. He was a sad figure to me because his faults would keep him a child, while everybody around grew up, and they would remember him, but he was essentially perpetually alone, except for his villains. Even the fairies would die soon and he'd have to meet new ones. I'm not sure I thought it all out that clearly as a child, but I always felt like Peter was fun to read about and might be fun to play with for an afternoon, but I wouldn't want to spend much time with him.

As an adult, I thought it even more poignant. Do you know the story of Barry's childhood? His mother's favorite child died, and she spent a year in bed. Finally a sister sent Barrie into the room to remind their mother that she had another son. She replied, "But you'll grow up and leave me, too" and he promised he never would.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger 1morechapter said...

Great review. I like reviews from a Christian perspective. I will probably still read this book, but with caution. Thanks!

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

I am always amazed at the original old faery tales, children's stories and such. I mean, Grimm is Grimm but it is nice to see people read these stories and bring about a lighter side to the stories.

I do agree with you - Pan is dark and I wouldn't want my children reading it until they are older.

I recently purchased The Dryads and Other Tales by Frank White (the original Sleeping Beauty (Dryads), Cinderella (Ramshackle Keep) and Aladdin (The Djinn).

So, far I find them fascinating but so far from Disney.

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutly adore peter pan and the sequel. At first I thought it would be hard to handle tootles as a girl, just because i'm used to him being a boy, but then I got used to it. Also, I think Peter Pan teaches kids that it is good to stay young, but everyone (except Peter Pan) has to grow up sometimes. I am 13 and I don't really care for growing up, yet I can deal with it. Anyway, Peter isn't supposed to be what all children are like, he is only representing one type (kind of a brat). I don't think anyone should judge this book based on cross-dressing, one character that's arrogant or a little rude, but on the writing and imagination. Kids would most likely enjoy this book more then adults, probably because they have a bigger, better imagination, and they don't think of things from a scientific or parental point of view.

 
At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Tinker Bell said...

i haven't read peter pan in scarlet yet, but i enjoyed the original even if peter is more like some kind of antihero and therefore not that loveable. i still think of him as a figure with a tragic fate, which makes me sympathise with him. missing even the idea of moral (no matter what kind of) he is free to follow his imagination as well as he is captured in his own world of dreams for there will be never anyone being able to wake him up or destroy him respectively, because he is a dream himself.

since i haven't read the book yet i cannot tell if the idea with tootles is a good one. your are right: clothes don't make a man. but you are wrong to say that there are just two sexes and no gender at all. people are individuals and not "one or the other". if you would encourage children to act like they feel to and not to act like they should acording to your rules of gender roles, there wouldn't be so many grown-ups struggling with themselves and/or with the "frightening other sex(es)" for those problems are mostly made by those who think that they know exactly what "normal" means.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home