Friday, December 15, 2006

The Family Nobody Wanted, by Helen Doss

This book automatically caught my attention as J and I have plans of adopting some of our own children in the future. After researching options at home and abroad, we've settled on the idea of adopting from overseas. While there are still requirements that must be met, they aren't nearly as stringent and oppressive as the ones are here in our own country. (While I certainly understand the reasoning behind various laws related to domestic adoptions -- there is FAR too much red tape.) Since we are planning on having a "multicultural family" this book was intriguing.

This book is written by Helen Doss who, with her husband Carl, adopted 12 children of various races and nationalities. In it she tells how they came to adopt all 12. She relates various tales from their growing up years in order to show that, although these children came from different backgrounds, they enjoyed and loved one another. Carl Doss was a Methodist minister and their family lived on a minuscule budget. By 1950 standards, they really did not have enough to live off. Yet they longed to offer a home to these kids. They wanted to show them the love of Christ. They wanted other people to see that there is not one race that is "less human" than any other. Doss dwells on the topic of racism and they dealt with it as a family. Typically (and truthfully) I think things like race are an issue when you decide you are going to make them one. I know there are many different feelings/views/opinions on the issue of race. I was raised not to note the difference between people so for ME it's NOT an issue. I must admit though - race is still an issue for today's society. Sadly, this definitely effects which countries J and I are willing to adopt from. (It has nothing to do with how we feel, personally, but how much we are willing to take on with society at large.) There are some battles we do not feel equipped to fight. But the Doss family did and they fought these battles during a time when it was much MORE of an issue than it is even today. I think they handled things very well, assuring each child that they were made in the image of God and that God loved them and accepted them for who they were. They taught them how to relate to other people who might take issue with their nationality. They certainly were an inspiration to many people who, at the time, took issue with their choices.

There was one thing that REALLY bothered me about this book and the Dosses marriage. Basically they went down the road of adoption because they were unable to have children of their own. Helen really wanted children -- more so than Carl. Carl was in seminary and they barely had two pennies to rub together. Carl kept telling Helen that they could not afford a child....a second child...a third....a seventh....a ninth...and so on and so forth. She never once listened to him. He argued that they had a responsibility to the 9 that they already had when she was arguing back that they should be able to take in the last three (all at the same time)! Helen simply would not listen. She even quotes him as saying, "It's as if I'm talking for the mere exercise of it."

Now, back then, there being an enormous LACK of red tape in the adoption process, they were able to send off letters to agencies and (from the way she wrote it) have children dropped in their laps. Even when she knew Carl would not be willing to take in a child if she asked him outright, she would send off letters requesting children. When she received an affirmative response from anyone, then she would approach Carl with an agency's letter and haggle him into it.

I cannot FATHOM doing this to J. In fact, I finished the book yesterday and told J about it when he came home. Before I could complete the question, "Can you imagine if I did that to..." he cut me off with a resounding, "NO!" HA! To state it simply. Only once did Carl ask for a particular child to be added to the family. The other 11 times it was a game, of sorts, for Helen to see how many or WHO she could sneak in.

Now, I am NOT saying that I'm sorry they had all twelve. And in the end, btw, Carl was incredibly happy with his brood and referred to them as a "full quiver." They were a happy family. But the way that they put themselves together was more sneaky on Helen's part than anything else, I felt. I don't want to build a family based on Harassment of the Husband. Parenting is a team effort. I cannot imagine having a bunch of kids that just I wanted. That would be a horrible process -- even if J WAS happy with the result in the end.

There is a lack of respect towards the head of the house that I felt was displayed in this book. That's a rather sad fact, in my opinion. Mutual respect was lacking. I have a hard time enjoying a story when I see one partner or the other being disrespected in making family related decisions (or ANY decision, really). Marriage is about partnership: love and respect. But I suppose this wasn't a book on marriage as it was about adoption. Yet it was such a distracting issue that it made my continued enjoyment of the book next to impossible.

I AM glad books like this are out there. They are necessary (still) as to their ability to sway the public that these situations can work and can work well. The great thing about this book is that the Helen & Carl Doss were Christians and raised their family to be Christians also. That much is evident in her writings. And I truly believe that the only way to make such a situation work is to cover it in prayer and bathe it in the love of Christ. Without that - NOTHING works, really. Christ is the only one who can bind hearts together in this fashion. Because of Him, the Doss situation worked. Without Him, I'm not so sure. (Not discounting non-Christian families who adopt and make these situations work. I know there are some. I'm just saying its almost surely effective WITH Christ, rather than without - but that's another argument and the purpose of this book review isn't to argue THAT.)

All in all, I would heartily recommend this book with the notation that this is also a book about a wife who took herself outside of her husband's authority to do what it is that she wanted done. The end of the story is happy though and Helen Doss did a great job making certain points that need(ed) to be made. For that reason, as one who is interested in forming the same type of family (with fewer in number, btw), I would pass along this book.

Thanks, Rose, for recommending it to us!

11 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great review and interesting book. Thanks.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Hofwoman said...

I liked this book as well - very heartwarming :)

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Debbie said...

This book that I read when I was probably 15, I am not 49, is why I felt called to adoption!! I just reread it again!!

Debbie

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The husband's authority? What planet are you on when saying the husband is the head? Should be equal.

 
At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Possibly the lack of communication is what led to Helen and Carl's divorce? The sad part is that they divorced about 1964, about 12 years after the book was published; the youngest children must have still been at home.

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a boring and awesome book! laugh out loud-{lol} =)

 
At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helen Doss, you are my hero.. For years I have dreamed of talking with you. At this point, with seven adopted special needs children of my own, we could share war stories. When I was a newly married woman, I didn't expect that I ever could.

Somehow today my search was fruitful and I found some information about what happened with you and your family. I dream of talking with you. Not only did I follow your dream of "one more" -- "one more" -- "one more", but I also (after 19 years of home schooling my kids) pursued my own education in response to a need to reach out to myself.

Is there some way to meet with you? Not likely through this medium, as I am not leaving my email address. I would so like to say, "Thank you", though. Our children range in ages from 28 to 9. It hasn't always been easy sledding, but I have sure loved the ride. With grand kids now, and kids reuniting with their own birth parents, we are coming into a new day..

God be with you, Helen Doss. I wish we could meet. By the way, my name is also Helen.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

they didn't divorce, her husband died of cancer.

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They divorced in 1964. Carl died of cancer in 1994.

 
At 2:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I never read the book, but the Doss family lived two doors up from us. Alex and I went to High School together, Tim was a senior when we were sophmores. Ted was the same age or a year older than my sister who was 4 years older and Greg was the youngest, 3 years younger than Alex and myself. Rev. Doss and Mrs. Doss were separated then divorced when we move to Roosevelt Rd in Redlands. The older kids were already gone and I only knew Ted, Tim, Alex, and Greg. These guys were great and great to be around. Greg seemed to be able to get into trouble the most. I remember Alex and I were playing out in the front yard and my dog Sandy, a rough collie, was with me. We weren't paying any attention to Greg who was teasing Sandy by pinching her tail and doing other things to her, you know how young boys are, there was a yelp from my dog and then a yelp from Greg when Sandy nipped him. We had just warned him not to tease the dog. No harm done. One time Alex wanted to play ping pong (table tennis). I don't think I ever saw the ball, so Tim filled in for me and also Ted got involved. I remembered seeing Chinese table tennis tournaments. These guys could have competed with them. As far as race, I remember Tim said he was half Philippino and I don't remember what the other half is, Alex was full Chinese, and Greg was full Blackfoot Indian. Mr Doss had the boys living with him. Alex and I graduated from Redlands High in June 1967. Right after graduation I went into the Navy. After 4 years in the Navy I came home and I came across Tim who was working in realestate. It is 2014 now and I just read that Alex passed away at around 60 and Greg before that. I just turned 65. Sometimes it seems like yesterday. I immigrated to the US from Holland when I was 2 years old and lived in Salt Lake City, UT then moved to Redlands. I lived most of my life in Washington and Idaho. I don't know if Ted or Tim read these comments, but if they do Hi fellow Vietnam Veterans and neighbors. The Dutch kid Dick Jonas from down the block.

PS The Doss divorce was not really a discussion matter among the Doss's outside of their home, maybe to close friends. I remember when Rev Doss became Mr. Doss and I remember Mr Doss being the single parent for the boys. I believe Mrs Doss spent a lot of her time away from home due to the book and such. As far as Ms Anonymous who questions the authority of the Husband, in Christianity that is a given. The Scriptures teach that the Husband is love his wife like Christ loves the church, and that the wife is to submit to her husband, and the children are to obey their parents. The husband and wife are partners along side each other and if her husband loves her as Christ loves the church she should want to submit to him. If they are on the same page together it will make it easier to raise and dicipline their children and they well obey their parents. I know this is not a perfect world, but these principles do work, and they are scriptural. It's hard to have 2 heads of household and make it work. The wife has a say in the matter and a wise husband will listen to what his wife has to say, but according to the Bible he has to make the final decision. True selfless love is the key and you can only get that by accepting Jesus the Christ who gave us the example of that and then you will receive the Holy Spirit and the main fruit of the Spirit is Love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home