Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield

I just finished this book so its quite fresh in my mind. This isn't one that I really want to review in normal fashion because there's an element of mystery and suspense to it that shouldn't be spoiled by accidentally reading the conclusion in a review.

So I'll say this:

This book is spooky, riveting, suspenseful, disgusting, vile, a great page turner and will linger in your mind for a good long while (I would imagine). It tells the story of a family who basically disintegrates. It's an excellent example of what can happen when Christ is removed from the picture. It's not a story of redemption. More like relief. I'm not even sure how its relieving, exactly. It just is.

The story grips you from the get-go, which is probably why it has received so many good reviews all over the internet. It's a story every book lover will identify with immediately. The narrator of the tale, Margaret, helps to keep up her father's bookstore. She describes reading a book in a way that only a dedicated reader can understand. You'll know what I mean when you read it. Her character is personable, albeit tragic. She is hired to write the biography of Vida Winter, a mysterious but well-loved writer in England. The story is how Vida Winter came to be. Its a search for truth and the revelation of it (as painful as it sometimes is).

I liked this book because it was gripping. I hated it for the same reason. It IS spooky. The depravity of man is vividly described -- yet -- upon recollection, Setterfield really isn't that descriptive. She says just enough and no more and yet you can see everything quite clearly in your mind's eye. Sometimes it is very disturbing. But its not something you'll necessarily put down - even though you may want to.

If the story weren't so dark at times, I'd say it was a cotton candy read. It certainly is captivating. It's hard for me to recommend it because of the subject matter involved here and there. At the same time, the story ties together so amazingly well that its hard to pass up! I'm definitely curious to hear what the rest of you think of it after reading it!

13 Comments:

At 4:13 AM, Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

My copy still isn't in at the library, even though I reserved it weeks ago! Very annoying.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Yikes! I totally forgot about reserving books for this year and now I am 65th in line for this!! Now I'm all curious, too.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

HA! Well, I think its safe to say that Rose will be not reading this with us in January. ;D

 
At 5:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - just found your review via semicolon after I had just written my own review of the book!
Yes it is a spooky read and the theme of Man's depravity is disturbing, especially when the house starts to inevitably return to its decaying state once Hester leaves. I still found it enjoyable nevertheless!

 
At 5:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, there. I loved 13th Tale too.

This reader was thankful Setterfield left out the major details regarding two certain characters. I'll not be more specific - I don't want to spoil the shock for those who haven't read it. You're right, just enough was given to make us squirm. And keep reading too. Before 13th Tale, another book i read had practically step-by-step details in one scene. Does the reader really need that? Methinks no.

Hey, that would make an excellent blog post.

Monica

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I felt a little guilty giving it such a glowing review since there were elements I didn't like. But for the most part it wasn't gratuitous.

 
At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really appreciate your review of this book. I had heard many glowing reports about it which compelled me to read it. I was even going to let my daughter read it after I finished it. After I read it I was so surprised that so many Christians gave it such a good report without mentioning the disturbing aspects. It was a good book, but I think it is worth mentioning that it deals with incest and famial mental illness. And my daughter will NOT be reading this.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Alaina said...

I'm in the same boat, having reserved the book halfway through December and being placed on a long list! Oh, well, I'll have to catch-up read that one and go on to the next.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

On the whole, I liked it very much; it is very well written, and I relate deeply to the idea of story as a way of processing life.

However, I had the same irritation at the end which I did (as far as I can recall, it's been a long time) with *Wuthering Heights*. Why can there be no hope for the most troubled characters? The best they can seem to hope for is dying and being put out of their misery. I realize the focus is on later characters making sense of life despite what has gone before, but I'd rather not leave the most hopeless characters in the lurch. (And if it won't give too much away, I was particularly frustrated by the way the story treats Adeline and that Margaret's mother never seems to move on.)

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger At A Hen's Pace said...

I think one has to accept this tale for what it is--essentially a genteel horror story! It is a gripping, spooky story of the unspeakable and more.

Jeanne

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Shauna said...

What a fantastic writer Setterfield is! I almost stopped reading because I was worried that she would go into graphic detail instead of just alluding to the YUCK! backstory, but I'm glad I stuck with the book. it's definitely a haunting tale.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Finally got this, started reading in the evening and ended up staying up til 11 to finish it. Very gripping, haunting, eerie, spooky, creepy, shadowy, etc. But a fascinating, captivating read for certain! I too felt let down by the ending and believed that it didn't properly resolve all the conflicts/struggles. Why did Adeline mess with the safety latch on the ladder, anyway? Yes, and what WAS up with Margaret's mother?

The disturbing parts of the book were sad but fortunately vague enough not to make me put the book down. The descriptions of reading, getting lost in a book, etc., and all the literary references, were a delight to come across.

Only in such a dark book would the simple, everyday act of seeing one's reflection in the glass grow blurred as rain hits the window be described along the lines of 'I watched as her (the reflection's) face melted and decomposed...'

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Shannon @ Some Fine Taters said...

I put this one down because I found that she did go into to much detail about some vile things.

From what I did read, yes, the writing was engaging, but I found many of her sentence structures to be convoluted and awkward.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home