Monday, February 27, 2006

A Few Good Books...

Dear Friends,
Since Carrie has so kindly invited me to join your group, I'll try to give some recommendations for future books. Here goes:

Girl Meets God, by Lauren Winner

Amazingly honest and somewhat unique autobiography of a Jewish convert to Christianity. I found it a fascinating look into modern Judaism. If a good book can be defined by how much it winds itself into your mind and slowly changes presuppositions you never realized you had, then this takes first prize.

The Excellent Wife, by Martha Peace.

Recommended to me by my pastor's wife. A straight-up, honest look at what marriage is and how a wife should approach it. Very helpful, in that it gave Biblical answers to tricky questions and situations, instead of simply covering a list of principles and applications. Highly recommended.

Inkheart, by Cornelia Funke

Written by a German lady with two children, who has obviously read a wide range of classic and current children's books. Quirky. Imaginative. A modern day fairy tale, with computers and cell phones, yet set in castles and quaint villages in Europe.

5 Comments:

At 9:08 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

By way of introduction to the group --- Anneke is my OTHER roommate from my Moscow days. =)

Did we ever have a round of greetings, btw?

Me - everyone knows me so I won't explain. You just have to learn. ;)

ELR - Erika, my former roommate and the only person on the planet who can say "do it!" and I will. Stunning.

Sky - Dearest and belovedest. Fully female, fully alive. I love her. You must love her too. When I'm a mommy, I want to be like her.

Rose - My friend in a round about way! She lived in OR and knew my husband's family loooong before I did. She moved away and then got married. I met her parents when they were in town visiting and read her blog and walla! Here we are.

Book2006 - a nonbeing.

Will - (who occassionally comments) My law school chum. Soon to be married, hence the silence of late.

Now we all have a clue, of sorts.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Rose said...

Welcome Anneke! It's great to have you join us. Those sound like fascinating books! I'm highly intrigued.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger return home gnome said...

WelcomeWelcomeWelcome!
good to see you on here Anneke.

Carrie: thank for the run down on who everybody is. I laughed. :) Can I really do that? Hrm, now to abuse my power...

Personally, I'd like to stick to fiction, or perhaps I should say, "story" for this book club. While certain Christian books may be quite good in their own right, I don't know that I can read them as quickly (or, to be honest, with as much enthusiasm) as I can a good story.

That said, Brendon by Frederick Buechner is great great fun!! Y'all should read it. :)

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Yes, Miss Mythology and Quiet American. =PPPPPPP

Well, I'd rather not say "strictly fiction" but I like mixing it all up. For example, I rather love biographies. They are often very entertaining! But I understand the sentiment.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Ani said...

Thanks all for the warm welcome! Carrie-like the quirky comments and intros!
Erika-understand about the 'fiction only'-some Christian books are best read without a deadline. But I do hope all of you get a chance to read The Excellent Wife. And Girl Meets God is really a short autobiography.Look forward to future book recommendations from all of you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home