Monday, February 20, 2006

my small thoughts thus far....

East of Eden;

I've read it before, but in honor of the book club I read it again, trying to remain neutral yet gritting my teeth as the renewal of this particular piece brought my original thoughts to the surface. I understand why people think it well written and insightful. However I dislike most of the literary world's "classics" as most of them are about as insightful to the human race as a diver in a mudbog, I don't think you can elaborate on the sides of good and evil or the feelings of the righteous or injust if you yourself are blind to the Truth. If one has not turned to Jesus and thus been enlightened to the great mysteries of life one cannot write about life truthfully for the simple reason that the truth is hidden.
I think it is important to read such "classics" so that you have your own knowledge of what it is about but I don't think it we should term it a classic, a true classic involves the triumph of Good over Evil, the struggles of life with the glory of love shining through the turmoil. I think that unbelievers can write truth, only because God uses every kind of vessel to spread His Word.
All in all, not very enjoyable. I would rather read Moby Dick, Les Miserables or The Count of Monte Cristo again.

DEADLINE;
For me this was a rather predictable and boring plot but I did like all the arguments presented for the Pro-abortion and Pro-life sides. For me it took forever to unravel and solve and make amends. It was ok. Not brilliant.

WHAT A GIRL WANTS;
Couldn't even finish the first few pages due to frustration and rage at the stupidity of some female humans.

The Things They Carried;
Still reading.

3 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

AH HA! I *FINALLY* finished Deadline. *I* liked.

I, personally, found the book rather mesmorizing on a few levels. I was attracted to it from the get-go because it was set in Oregon and he described the land I've grown to know and love. While I wasn't particularly fond of his pick of names for key characters, and some of his dialogue was hokey (like the conversation between Sue & the Sentator on the plane, specifically), on the whole I thought it was nicely done.

I have to say, this is the first book that has ever made me want to go to Heaven. Seriously. I mean, you know. You want to go but only because "you know it's going to be good!" but you can't really imagine it. Not that Alcorn's depiction is scripturally acurate, which he readily admits. Its a work of fiction as most books about Heaven are. However, most books stop with, "And [he] died and went to Heaven. Everyone on earth was sad about it and missed [him] but they knew [he] was in a better place." That's what we all say, isn't it? "I'm sad, but I know they are in a better place." Occassionally we try to imagine what it is like to be there, surrounding by the saints of all the ages. This book somehow caught my imagination and painted this glorious picture. Alcorn said something like (I'll paraphrase), "Those who have gone before realize its a momentary seperation." But the rest of us have to live the seperation. To think that they can still hear us, see us, rejoice with us, pray for us is simply charming, as is the idea that God loves us infinetly because we were made to be His image bearers.

So! My opinion was it was a captivating read and I'm glad to have spent the time on it.

Today I picked up the copy of What a Girl Wants from the library. It finally came in . . .

;)

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Just finished What a Girl Wants. (I'll update the site with new pictures for March books tonight or sometime.)

Mixed feelings on WAGW. Some parts I thought were funny, fitting and definitely meant for only our time. This is definitely a period work, that's for sure! 10 years from now a lot of people won't know what Billerbeck was talking about!

However, for a brief moment, as if watching an hour and a half romantic comedy, it was good.

It all depends on how you measure it. It definitely had its eye-rolling moments and I reaaally disliked her best friend "Brea." But I caught a few whiffs of myself in Ashley and I think there are a few of us out there who, being honest, could say the same. But it's one of those "glad to BEYOND the Ashley moments!" now.

A couple of my in-town friends read it recently and found things to laugh about too.

Definitely a cotten candy read. Not one I regret. But I wouldn't read anything else of Billerbeck's either.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger return home gnome said...

Alright Carrie, you've convinced me. I will now actually track it down and read it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home