Monday, April 10, 2006

ERAGON

Hmmm....mixed thoughts on this book. Mostly I found it more curious than riveting.

I was annoyed with it at first because every time I read the name Eragon I thought "Aragorn" and every time I read Carvahall I thought "Cair Paravel." I was beginning to have severe doubts towards Paolini's ability to tell an original story when Saphira hatched from her egg. It bore a striking resemblance to Rowling's description of a dragon's hatching in The Sorcerer's Stone. This is to say nothing of the similarities between Brom and Gandalf. Or the dwarves and elves. Esp. the pretty elf that he's attracted to. Sigh.

I imagine its getting harder and harder to be an original, esp. when movies are making certain fantasy stories so popular and well-known. Paolini, I suppose, made a valiant effort. I'm not sure if I'm curious enough to read the rest of the trilogy. He wins points by making Saphira such an integral part of the story. Without her, this book would be lost in the Lord of the Rings and Narnia storm. (Oh. Well, I do have my suspicions about Eragon's parents and I'd probably read the other two books to find out if I'm correct!)

Yup, my opinion it is Saphira who makes the entire book worth it. The other noteworthy thing to mention, of course, is that Paolini was home schooled and wrote this book after graduating from high school at age fifteen. I always like a good successful home schooler story. This seems to be one of them -- even if I don't find it top notch. I was entertained. And sometimes that's enough.

1 Comments:

At 6:18 AM, Blogger Sky said...

I agree that the names can be confusing, it definitely made me read the words instead of assuming and moving on. I like it because it is so similar to LOR and Narnia, but different enough to be a different story.

I think I love these books mostly because of the Dragon Riders, I love the way Eragon and Saphira communicate, it reminds me of my horse riding days, not that I was ever reading minds or anything but there was a very close connection AS IF we were.

I would say that Paolini's writing style does mature in Eldest. I really enjoyed it. P. does have his own thoughts on the fantasy world and it becomes more clear in the second book. Still alot of parallels but you see more of his imagination.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home