Thursday, April 06, 2006

The Quiet American

Evidently the title has an unspoken punch line; the only quiet American is a dead American.

What a portrayal of bitterness. I cannot help but wonder if Greene ever met a true American instead of the Hollywood version.

I felt very sorry for the stupid, Alden Pyle. Probably because he is American but partly because I was desperately trying to like someone and I detested Fowler. Pyle's stupid visions and irregular actions did result in his death and the death of his best friend, the only friend he had that was true to the end, Duke. But I feel that the writing of his character smears the men that were a part of the tragedy of Vietnam. Yes it is one of the biggest mistakes that America has ever taken part in but there were some honest, hardworking men who were trying their best to resolve a bad situation. I know, I have talked to them.

Innocence in this book is displayed as the epitome of stupidity.

And I can't help but wonder who in their right mind would send an idiot like Pyle into a situation that he obviously couldn't handle. I guess that comes back to Greene's views of Americans.

I read that some consider Fowler to be the normal British character of instinctive decency and wholesome common sense. I think he is a villain of the worst kind. The kind that stands by and doesn't do enough the kind that betrays by not caring.

"What's the good? He'll always be innocent and you can't blame the innocent, they are always guiltless. All you can do is control or eliminate them. Innocence is a kind of insanity." - Fowler in regards to Pyle.

I think I somewhat get what Fowler was meaning, he was fed up with the stupid Americans who didn't have a clue as to why they were there or what they were doing. In that, he was right.

As for the underdeveloped character of Phuong I can't help but wonder why Greene even wrote her in except to give a very small picture of how women of the East have learned to roll with the punches and do whatever it takes to remain alive. Her impassive countenance and swerving loyalty is evident that she cares not about who she is with but only that she is with one who cares for her needs.

The one I sympathized with was Vigot who seems to be doing the best he could in a time where there was no real Right and Wrong.

In the whole I hated that there were no strong characters, no hope and no real "happy ending".

Am I missing some hidden meaning? Is there more to the story and I didn't see it? I am not very good at defining hidden parallels.
I am looking forward to learning more about this book from y'all.

3 Comments:

At 8:12 AM, Blogger Rose said...

I'm glad you posted this! I couldn't finish it because it was so depressing and raised all kinds of patriotic fervor to an unhealthy degree. Not that I mind Americans taking a few well-deserved hits now and then, but I HATE predictable, cliched, misinformed America-bashing.

From the very start I had absolutely no interest in the characters, and when I don't care about the characters it's very hard for me to care about the plot or the book in general. So that's why my reading petered out. As far as I did read, I didn't find any hidden meanings, Sky. And it wasn't really that well written, either. Nothing captivating or mesmerising or quotable. Bleah!

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

And I'm grateful someone else posted on a book! =D I haven't moved beyond A. Carmichael yet this month. I'm stuck in Mitford.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Sky said...

I'm glad someone else didn't like it! I thought it was badly written too. Why is it that most "classics" are badly done? Who was crowned king and named them classics anyway??

I confess I have only read excerpts from Mythology. I couldn't get into it at all. I loathe greek stuff. I prefer the celtic history, there is more Godliness in it. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home