Thursday, April 27, 2006

IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN

Hey all,

This weekend or early next week I'll update the side bar with May's reads. They are, all confirmed, as follows:

1. Inkheart - by Cornelia Funke (Anneke)
2. 'Till We Have Faces - by C.S. Lewis (Rose)
3. The Man Who Knew Too Much - by G. K. Chesterton (Erika); and
4. The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax - by Dorothy Gilman (Sky)

At this point, of course, I'd like to go forward in choosing books for June.

In scouring past entries, I've collected former suggestions and I would propose the following:

PRIMARILY IN HONOR OF ERIKA NOT HAVING ANY MORE BOOKS TO SUGGEST FROM HER OTHER BOOKCLUB AND IN CELEBRATION OF NOT BEING INFLICTED BY ANYMORE BOOKS ON VIETNAM *ahem* I would suggest we read two books that she really WANTED to read (and I do too!):

1. The DaVinci Code - by Dan Brown (Erika);
2. The Little Prince - by Antoine de Saint-Exupery (Erika);
3. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - by Mark Twain (Carrie); and

*drum roll, please*

4. Beau Geste! - by Percival Wren (Rose)

Rose suggested that some time back and Karen's
recent blog post on the book has me positively itching with curiosity. It must be satisfied.

What say ye?

As for my current reading status -- the library finally has a copy of Drink to Tomorrow in so I shall devour that sometime early next week and post my thoughts then. I just couldn't stand the thought of attempting another Vietnam based saga so I skipped The Quiet American. Mitford has been far too consuming. However, I can honestly say that there's not a book I'm avoiding during the month of May and I fully expect to get through them all in record time (as I also work my way through the Mitford series which currently has me positively captivated).

Anyway, this would be a good time to share one's thoughts on the suggested list for June. Otherwise I'll assume (as I usually do anyway) that everyone agrees with me completely and will post the list as Confirmed soon enough. ;)

8 Comments:

At 5:00 AM, Blogger Sky said...

Sounds wicked-cool dudettes!

Seriously, sounds good. I haven't ever finished Beau Geste or DaVinci's Code. Although I have had to talk to young Christians about D.C. and I am interested to see how much non-Christianity goes into the movie.
I LOVE The Little Prince, did you know that Antoine was a pilot? All his other book are on my Amazon wish list..
And I always enjoy Mark Twain!

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Rose said...

I'm in!

Trust me, you will LOVE Beau Geste if you can just get past the first fifty pages...it's a bit of a slow starter but well worth the effort!

With all the buzz over DC, I suppose we should read it too. I don't intend to be offended by it, seeing as it's fiction, but if it gets too irreverent I reserve the right to leave off reading. =)

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Ani said...

All choices sound great. I've been wanting to read GKC's fiction for a while, and The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax sounds intriguing.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Rose: Rights reserved! For the record, I fully intend to be outraged, annoyed, offended and infuriated. So long as my blood pressure stays down, I intend to finish it.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

P.S. BLF is the friend of Sky's and mine that I told y'all about earlier. Bonnie!

Bonnie hails from TX originally but married a Navy man so she's typically all over the place. They are presently in the middle of a move but once she settles in she'll join us. Probably in June.

There. Now everyone should know who the "lurker" is. Say hi to Bonnie, people.

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger return home gnome said...

Hi Bonnie! I'm a navy kid so I know how it goes; moved... well I won't say how many times, because the number varies so much depending on how you count. I'm sure you know what that's like! :)

Great book recommendations. I confess. I am WAY behind!! :( Bad me! Haven't even STARTED the Quiet American (my other book club got confused, so we did ManWhoKnew by GKC last month). So I fully intend to "catch up".

And yes, we should totally read D.C.! Actually I've already read it, but I highly recommend reading it considering all the pop-talk ab it right now, that will continue until after the film is released. I talked to a bouncer at a bar the other evening for a full 15 min ab it because I saw he was reading one of the other Dan Brown books. I asked him "how'd you like those?" and he just WENT OFF all about it and what he's thinking. V interesting (and my boyfriend was with me, so no he wasn't just hitting on me; this guy was REALLY interested in the books).
Right. Getting wordy. :)

Read on!!!

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Rachelle said...

This subject is so WAY OVER for you but because of C's references:
"The Things They Carried" was required reading in my modern Am. Lit course in college. As hard as it was to read, I am glad I did it. It made me think profoundly on topics of courage, responsibility, what's most important to our lives, war, and particularly VietNam. And I think on it occasionally in relation to the current war. So kudos to whomever (Erika??) suggested it. When I read college applications with booklists, I always hoped to see it pop up; it doesn't make the homeschooler book list. Maybe college is a better time for the subject matter, but I think it should be read.-rlr

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Thanks Rachelle,

I don't recall every saying it shouldn't be read. I said I wasn't going to read it.

Well, I've already said my two cents. I'm fine with it being read.

I just chose not to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home