Friday, May 05, 2006

Completely Unrelated

My other readings from April....

Impossible Things a collection of short stories by Connie Willis
I was talking with a friend the other day who made the comment that good short stories are hard to find, but oh-so-wonderful when they are found. Connie Willis is a very intelligent woman who mixes her knowledge of history and science to make super believable science fiction landscapes in which to couch clever tales that almost always have more meaning that one initially suspects. I particularly liked her tribute 40's era romance plots in "Spice Program", and her super intelligent cut at political correctness using, of all things, Shakespeare! in "Ado", and finally, the depressing but beautiful "Schwarzchild Radius" in which she makes life mimic science. Oh, so much fun!

Calvin's commentary on the Galatians
I've found this one easier to read that the other's I've perused so far (Mark, Romans, Revelation, Genesis). I read them slowly, bit-by-bit, along with whatever Bible study I'm in, and that way, some day, I will get through them all. I continue to appreciate his clear passion for the sacredness of the Word, and his deep love for God.

The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
SO interesting!! I highly recommend it. Really, everyone should read this! Quick, easy, but so fascinating I took my time with it.

Breaking the Da Vinci Code
eh, whatever. Ok, I suppose, but not too well written, not as scholarly as I would like, and not terribly compelling, although I agreed with his "facts". Certainly not an intelligent-feeling, page-turner like the book it is discussing.

I've been reading less recently, so that's all folks! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home