Wednesday, June 28, 2006

August books;


It was mentioned that a WESTERN was in order! YES! (fist clenched in the air!) My most favorite "western" author of all time is Louis L'amour, his life history and intelligence make his books come alive, he did so much research, even to the point of talking to cowboys, gunslingers, miners and indians that actually lived during the wild west days. WWW.louislamour.com

After much panic and due deliberation I have chosen "Utah Blaine" by Louis Lamour. If you finish that and want more, "Tall Stranger" is a slim novel. It was the first grown-up book I ever read. I think I was five years old!

If you feel like extra western reading, Log of a Cowboy by Andy Adams captures the excitement and the reality of the old West before it was romanticized and mythologized by the movies and popular fiction. (all 1960 "westerns" make me grit my teeth and change the channel)

Now that I have gone on about the books that hit closest to home for me I DO hope you all at least derive a little enjoyment from them.

6 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Great, Sky! =D Very fun. Now, I really MUST request that you find the McManus book, read it, and leave a comment about it. J introduced me to him. He's an outdoor humorist from Idaho. Funny stuff. Just a light-hearted read and I'm curious to know what you think. If you promise - I'll read your western. ;D

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger Sky said...

I promise...

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger return home gnome said...

Sadly, I'm reading so many other books that "don't count" for this book club that I may have to drop! Right now I'm working through:

Jane Jacob's Death and Life of Great American Cities
Simply Christianity - NT Wright
Revelations of a Single Woman

And for my other book club which *would* count here: My Sister's Keeper, a modern piece couching bio-ethical questions in a novel. Interesting.

How about something by Charels Williams, or is there a Sayers book we have not yet (all) read? Or a Muriel Sparks like Loitering with Intent?

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Looking up the reviews on Amazon of elr's suggestions -- I'm intrigued most by Revelations of a Single Woman.

Unless there is a loud, vocal and fairly quick objection -- I'm going to post this as her "final selection" for August. (She said I could.)

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

And Bonnie's pick for August was Blue Like Jazz. Just waiting for Anneke's and then everyone can race to the library and see that you get a copy of everything in time. ;D

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger return home gnome said...

Good, this'll give me time to catch up. I'm still reading InkHeart! LoL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home