Wednesday, May 17, 2006

TILL WE HAVE FACES

Woah. Not your Pevensie adventure! I was expecting "traditional Lewis" but who is that? This was not what I anticipated, but I found it captivating. I found customers an interruption in the telling of the story.

I think the thing I found most interesting in this book is that Lewis tells the story through an individual, Orual, who writes the story somewhat in "haste" and in anger. It is only after she finishes writing the story, told entirely in her own perspective, that she realizes her personal beliefs regarding any given scenario and/or person were wrong. How like myself! I go with my initial impression and take things in as I perceive them to be. Afterwards I discover that perhaps my view wasn't as accurate as I thought. Frequently, it is only at the end of things that I can look back with a complaint and see that things were exactly as God meant them to be. Reminds me of Job.

I'm not entirely sure though if Lewis meant this to be allegorical in nature so I'm very hesitant to draw too many lines of connection between the story and our spiritual walk. Comments from anyone else on that? Online reviews seem mixed and the "note" by Lewis at the back of my copy of the book suggests nothing other than a personal fascination with the story of Cupid and Psyche. ???

Either way, it was both horrible and spell-binding in nature. (To me anyway!)

2 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger return home gnome said...

Isn't AMAZing?! I've read this book 3 times and it gets better each time. (haven't read it recently: good book club pick! It's time for another go!)

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger return home gnome said...

ps, I particularly like the undercurrent of power-struggle in the main character between power/intellegence and beauty/feminity. So realistic! So fascinating!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home