Thursday, June 01, 2006

JULY, JULY!

We're halfway through the year, do you realize? Waa haa haa! This has been great fun so far. I've enjoyed it anyway. You gals have stretched me and entertained me with your book selections. Thanks! So for July, after scrolling through archives, I would propose the following:

1. A book to be selected by Bonnie as the newest member. BLF, your reputation will be staked on your first selection. ;) Please remember this. No pressure.

2. A book to be selected by Rose. Since we're doing Beau Geste this month, perhaps we can go with something other than a swashbuckler?

3. Atonement, by Ian McEwan (Anneke);

4. The Grasshopper Trap, by Patrick McManus (Carrie).

Also, when you leave your comments/votes for July, can you leave some other suggestions of books you'd like us all to read together? Thanks!

5 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Blogger Sky said...

Sounds good!
I have been wanting to read some Rudyard Kipling. Or maybe Her Father's Daughter by Gene Stratton Porter or perhaps the Tall Stranger by Louis lamour...
Are we looking for any books in particular?

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger return home gnome said...

Hear, hear! Sounds delightful.
I really like this month's picks too.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Sky said...

I just thought of another one!

Absolution by Murder by Peter Tremayne

The Sister Fidelma mysteries are set mainly in Ireland during the mid-seventh century AD.

Sister Fidelma is not simply a religieuse, a former member of the community of St Brigid of Kildare. She is also a qualified dalaigh, or advocate of the ancient law courts of Ireland.
Tremayne spins a great mystery but throws alot of celtic history into his books, you don't realize how much you are learning because of how wrapped up in the times you become.
I love them.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Rose said...

Hmm...a non-swashbuckler....Of course everyone's already read Louisa May Alcott, L.M. Montgomery, Grandma's Attic, etc. How about the Peterkin Papers, by Lucretia Hale? Delightful comic misadventures of the life of a family who tend to take things too literally.

Another good pick would be the Accidental Detective books, by Sigmund Brouwer. I read these when they first came out, when I was ten, and although they are definitely written for a young adult audience, are still enjoyable to me today. Very quick and easy to read, with good plot, interesting characters, clever (albeit somewhat teenage) dialogue, and very good morals. I appreciated how the Christianity doesn't seem merely injected in, nor is it preachy; it's rather incidental. My favourite is Race For the Park Street Treasure. (They're written in a series, but you can read the books in any order.)

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

I vote for Peterkin Papers, by Lucretia Hale!

Sounds like my in-lawed family. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home