Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Grasshopper Trap by Patrick McManus

These books bring back fond memories of my childhood. We had a friend who had all of them and whenever we went to his house I would sit there and read as many as I could. I haven't read one for years!

I love PM's style of writing, he comes off like a good ol country boy but he has an intelligent and quirky way of telling his stories. I have never read this particular one so I was enthralled as soon as I started. My favorite chapter was The Human Fuel Pump, I don't know how many times in my past I was sitting on the back of a pickup truck hoping that the rivet attached to my jean lined butt was going to be enough to hold me on when we went over the next bump! And I can't even count how many people I know that got stuck on a mountain out in the middle of nowhere because they were trying out their "new" old truck! I laughed out loud every time I heard punkity, punkity, punkity in my head!

Metamorphosis and Other Outdoor Phenomena Wives Don't Understand is most defintely my Daddy! There were so many guns in our house! I was making my bed one day and I found a rifle in between my matresses!?!? Many times I was "bought" a gun that I never saw! Somewhere over there I have a shotgun, a .22 and a deer rifle! (My Glock is with me..)

I love that "hunting" and "gettin' a deer" are two totally different things. It is so true, men just love the idea of going outdoors and being that primitive creature that God created! Where I grew up though if you didn't get a deer your family didn't have any red meat for the whole winter. And winter in Idaho lasts nine months!

Carrie, I enjoyed it so much I laughed out loud! Not many things do that!

I could go on but this post is long enough.......

2 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Hey, hey! Glad you enjoyed it. J introduced me to McManus about a year or so ago. We went to see his one-man stage show ("A Fine and Pleasant Misery") at a local theatre and the performance was awesome!

http://www.mcmanusplays.com/mcmanus/misery.html

Apparently he only does a few shows a year now and thankfully one of them was in town!

McManus is definitely a hoot and frequently makes me laugh outloud. The stories I enjoyed the most in this particular book were, "The Swamp", "A Hunker is Not a Squat" and "Hunting Camp Etiquette."

Even though I come about as far away from being classified as "outdoorsy" as you can get, McManus has a sense of humor that tickles my funny bone. He's just fun and sometimes fun is all you want in a book.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger LT said...

Having grown up in McManus's back yard (I use the word "yard" very loosely--he is from Sandpoint, a mere 35 miles from my home town) I have read many of his books over the years. They are fun, interesting and so outrageous. I have also had the pleasure of enjoying the one-man show that Carrie mentioned--a definite "must see" if you have the opportunity!

Lovely recommendation, so much fun. There is nothing quite like spending a few minutes with a book that makes you laugh-out-loud!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home