Monday, July 10, 2006

The Peterkin Papers

It took me two weeks to read this. Not because I didn't have the time. Not because I don't like to read. Not because of anything other than my dislike of it. (Sorry, Rose.)

I thought the description of it being about "a family who takes everything literally" wasn't quite accurate. Perhaps I'm too attuned to the possibilities of someone making an off-hand remark and having it be taken quite literally as a result of my sibs-in-law. This book wasn't anything like them at all.

This book is about a stupid family that you'd like to strangle to end their misery. It's written in a similar style as The Five Little Peppers which I also just read recently. (It's a style I can't say I care for a great deal.) A little too innocent. A little too unbelievable.

I have to say its a relief to be done with this, not for the content struggle (although there is that) but for the boredom.

4 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger Rose said...

Oh, bother! I remember reading this book as a little girl and being delighted with it, in the same way that I giggled at Amelia Bedelia, but hadn't read it in ages. I did read a couple of the short stories in the intervening years - I think the one about Elizabeth Eliza getting the piano.

'Why don't you turn the piano round?' suggested the lady from Philadelphia.

'It's a square piano,' one of the little boys said pertly.

You are right, they are very stupid, but I always liked how they ran to the good lady from Philadelphia to solve all their problems and sort them out. Plus I generally like this era of writing. =)

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Sky said...

They are a ridiculous family. And I think that it just goes to show that women from Philly are quite logical. :oD
I did enjoy them as silly stories. And I love the india rubber boots that the boys put on to go OUT. I am a fan of Amelia Bedilia too but I think she is more literal then stupid.
I enjoyed getting to know some more silly stories! Thanks for the suggestion!

 
At 4:47 AM, Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

Oh, I always liked the Peterkins. Their stupidity and Victorian sweetness is obviously an over-the-top spoof. They're not meant seriously like the Five Little Peppers (whom I abhor).

I always felt like the little boys were much smarter than the rest of the family.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

I should note that I'm a particular fan of Amelia Bedelia. That's on my "list of Children's books I have to raise a child with." There are some books that Joshua is not allowed to enter this world in without owning. Those are some of them.

It's probably the style of writing that I dislike the most. From Elsie, to the Peterkins, to the Five Little Peppers. It's been a long time since I've read All of a Kind Family but I do remember liking that. Was that the same time period? I'll have to go back and see what I think of it now....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home