Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Some Helpful Guidelines

Ladies, I though it might be interesting for us to "polish" our book review skills! Here are some quick and interesting tips I found while browsing online:

Describe the book:
Is it interesting, memorable, entertaining, instructive? Why?

Respond to the author's opinions:
What do you agree with? And why?
What do you disagree with? And why?

Explore issues the book raises:
What possibilities does the book suggest? Explain.
What matters does the book leave out? Explain.

Relate your argument to other books or authors:
Support your argument for or against the author's opinions by bringing in other authors you agree with.

Relate the book to larger issues:
How did the book affect you?
How have your opinions about the topic changed?
How is the book related to your own course or personal agenda.

Go here for a more indepth guide!

1 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

I like it. Thanks for sharing some guidelines. I know that I don't write book reviews very well and was very much looking forward to some of your own, as well as Bonnie's. (Pressure is on, gals.) So feel free to leave us an example sometime of what you mean. ;)

I tend to read and find myself "liking/not liking." But I shall work on it. Just for you!

(BTW, least anyone think otherwise - I support Erika's guidelines here. I know *I* have room for improvement when it comes to book critiques. So I'll try!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home